How is SSET implemented?
SSET is designed for delivery by teachers or school counselors. The program consists of 10 45-minute lessons designed to be delivered during one class period. These lessons focus on:
- Common reactions to trauma
- Relaxation techniques
- Coping strategies
- Learning to approach difficult situations
- Developing a trauma narrative
- Problem solving
Is SSET evidence based?
Yes, a study published in 2009 demonstrated that:
- Students showed reductions in trauma symptoms, with those having a high level of symptoms before taking SSET benefitting the most
- Teachers reported improvements in student behavior
- Both students and parents reported high satisfaction with the program
SSET is a close adaptation of the Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for Trauma in Schools (CBITS) program, which has a more extensive evidence base and is delivered by mental health professionals.
Where has SSET been implemented?
Dissemination of SSET is just beginning. Please let us know how you are using SSET so we can share it with others.